As the winter chill settles in, the vibrant city of Boston transforms into a magical wonderland, adorned with festive lights and resonating with the spirit of the season. December in Boston is a time when the city truly comes alive with a myriad of holiday happenings, from enchanting light displays to heartwarming community events. Join us on a journey through the festive tapestry of the Boston area as we explore the must-see attractions and joyous celebrations that make this time of the year truly special.
- Boston Common Tree Lighting Ceremony: The holiday season kicks off in grand style with the annual Boston Common Tree Lighting Ceremony. Gather with locals and visitors alike to witness the majestic Christmas tree come to life with twinkling lights. The ceremony, typically held in early December, features live performances, festive music, and a visit from Santa Claus, creating a magical atmosphere that sets the tone for the entire month.
- Enchanting Light Displays: Take a stroll through the city’s enchanting light displays that transform iconic locations into dazzling spectacles. The Boston Common and Public Garden twinkle with thousands of lights, creating a breathtaking winter wonderland. Additionally, the Blink! light and sound show at Faneuil Hall Marketplace captivates audiences with its synchronized light performances, adding a touch of modern magic to the historic setting.
- Boston Ballet’s “The Nutcracker”: No holiday season is complete without a performance of “The Nutcracker,” and the Boston Ballet’s rendition is a timeless classic. Head to the Boston Opera House to witness the enchanting tale unfold through graceful dance and elaborate sets. With its captivating story and Tchaikovsky’s iconic score, “The Nutcracker” promises to transport you to a realm of holiday magic.
- Holiday Markets: Embrace the season of giving by exploring the various holiday markets that pop up throughout Boston in December. From handmade crafts to unique gifts, these markets offer a diverse selection of treasures perfect for everyone on your list. Check out the Boston Winter Village at City Hall Plaza or the SoWa Winter Festival for a festive shopping experience.
- First Night Boston: Bid farewell to the old year and welcome the new with First Night Boston, a citywide celebration on New Year’s Eve. Revel in live performances, fireworks, and the signature Grand Procession parade, making it a memorable way to ring in the new year with family and friends.